Restoring disk from Time Machine

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Mac Book Pro OS 10.6.8, 2.53ghz, i5, 4GB RAM, SSD Hard drive that is playing up and shutting down randomly. I ran Disk Utility and fixed the problem it said it had. But the problem is still occuring.

Therefore I would like to erase the disk or do a complete restore from my Time Machine backup? How do I do this please because I know command + R does not work on this system?

My install disks are 10.6.3 so I would like to avoid downloading and installing all the updates from 10.6.3 to 6.8 if possible.

Thanks in anticipation of your help :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

Sounds like a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) or MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), correct?

Since that model came with the discs, you should be able to perform an erase and install with 10.6.3, then choose From a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk when Migration Assistant appears during the setup screens. You can then have it completely restore all data including OS X 10.6.8. Once that is complete, you can run Software Update to see if there are any updates it is missing.

Restore your Mac from a backup

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
:) Thanks so much for your response Cory, I was able to install a new system and restore everything from my backup disk. Now everything seems to be working fine, so lets hope it was an OS glitch and not hardware failure.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad that seems to have helped.

Let us know how it goes over the next few days, and if the issue returns.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory or anyone else is able to help me :)

I didn't use my Mac for a week after erasing the disk, installing a new sytem and restoring everything from my back-up. But the same problem with it shutting down has returned unfortunately.

After this happened a few times I rebooted from my system disk, ran Verify in Disk Utility and it came up with the problem in the attached screen grab. This was fixed by running First Aid in Disk Utility. But it hasn't fixed the problem, it is still shutting down. This happens within 5-20 minutes of starting up, so the Mac is not running-hot. I have run First Aid a few times to fix this recurring problem

About 2 years ago I replaced the original HD with a Crucial SSD, which I installed myself. I have had no problems with it until now and my use is moderate because this is not my work Mac. The drive is still in warranty, so I am thinking I should go back to Crucial and ask for a replacement?

Please do you have anymore suggestions to overcome this problem or whether I have a case to go back to Crucial for a replacement drive?

Thanks, in anticipation of you replies
Screen shot 2020-08-20 at 19.50.31.jpg
Screen shot 2020-08-20 at 19.50.31.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Something seems to be corrupting the SSD. Have you tried starting up the iMac with the OS X Install Disc and then using Disk Utility to repair the disk as it states in your screenshot? I would try that first, and see if it successfully repairs it.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried that on numerous occasions previously and ufortunately it is only a temporary fix. :(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It may be a good idea to contact Crucial's tech support. They may be able to determine if it is indeed a failing SSD.

C

Ask a Question