Will Older Software Operate on a Newer System?

Reaction score
I am currently running a Mac Pro with 10.6 system. I can no longer utilize Google to access the internet because of the outdated system so I want to purchase another Mac Pro with a system 10.9 or higher. I realize newer programs will not operate, or even install, on older systems. My question is this: Will the programs (PhotoShop10.0, InDesign 5.0, QuarkXpress 7.3) I have installed on my Mac Pro/10.6, operate with one that has OS X 10.13 High Sierra or higher installed? Appreciate your feedback. Doug

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately, those versions are quite old (2007), and would require an newer updated version for compatibility with High Sierra or later. In human years, products from 2007 would be roughly the equivalent of 220 years. Because technology is changing at a faster rate every year, older hardware/software is outdated and loses backwards compatibility at a quicker pace.

I do believe that the current versions of those applications are compatible with High Sierra and later, but it would best to verify via their websites. Another issue would be the hardware compatibility for certain features/software. Even though they may work with a particular version of macOS, some features may require specific hardware specs as well.

C

Ask a Question