CD stuck in drive in an older iMac desktop

Reaction score
I have a 2006 iMac desktop with a library CD stuck in the drive on the side of the monitor. The power cord is dead. I have tried the credit card trick, but the disc won't budge because there's no power I have tried using a large paperclip in the small oval opening beneath the power cord, but nothing happens. Are these old power cords still available? I have no other power cord that would fit. Dare I mention that I have all my iTune songs stored on this machine!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There isn't a disc release hole for a paper clip near the power cord jack that I recall, so I am not sure where you got that information?

I assume your have a white polycarbonate iMac like this:

1280px-Imac17pouces.png

Any standard AC power cord will work:

800px-U.S._power_cord_IEC_320.agr.jpg

These are standard power cords that come with a variety of electronics - TVs, PCs, computer monitors, electronics, etc. You can find them online for $3-10.

C

Reaction score
I have a 2006 iMac desktop with a library CD stuck in the drive on the side of the monitor. The power cord is dead. I have tried the credit card trick, but the disc won't budge because there's no power I have tried using a large paperclip in the small oval opening beneath the power cord, but nothing happens. Are these old power cords still available? I have no other power cord that would fit. Dare I mention that I have all my iTune songs stored on this machine!
Thank you for your reply to my question concerning a disc stuck in the drive. There is indeed a small elliptical opening under the power cord outlet. It is rimmed with a narrow metal band. If one uses a flashlight, it is possible to see a tiny hole inside that accommodates a paperclip. After securing a new power cord, I once again turned on the computer, pushed the paperclip into the hole, hit the eject button, and was able to retrieve the CD. After that, the computer stopped working. I will have to take it in for service once I find someone who will carry it to my local Apple store. I find this site very helpful to troubleshoot odd problems and strange events covering my Apple products. Thank you for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Glad you got the disc out - I honestly don't remember that release hole. ;)

It sounds like it may be the power supply. Unfortunately, that model iMac is classified as vintage, and Apple can no longer get parts or repair them. Actually, all iMacs made before early 2013 are now vintage.

You may be able to find a non Apple Store computer shop that can get the parts and repair it, but they may be hard to find and it could be slightly expensive.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question