DVD stuck in iMac G5 drive

Reaction score
You know those DVDs that comes free with the newspaper? We watched one on the G5, but didn't read the small print (well, you don't, do you?) which said something like: "Not Apple slot drive". Now the disc won't come out - it's the wrong size.

We've tried all the recommended ways of forcing it to eject, but it's not the drive that's at fault.

Unless someone knows of a way of prising it out, we're doomed to never being able to watch anyhing but Neil Bloody Diamond ever again. And no one deserves that.

Help!

Reaction score
You know those DVDs that comes free with the newspaper? We watched one on the G5, but didn't read the small print (well, you don't, do you?) which said something like: "Not Apple slot drive". Now the disc won't come out - it's the wrong size.

We've tried all the recommended ways of forcing it to eject, but it's not the drive that's at fault.

Unless someone knows of a way of prising it out, we're doomed to never being able to watch anyhing but Neil Bloody Diamond ever again. And no one deserves that.

Help!

You could give these links a shot-
https://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5161
https://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5302

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time, Walrus. Sadly, I've already tried most of the solutions suggested in there (short of fishing around with a bit of sticky tape, which sounds a bit dodgy). It's not a problem getting the eject mechanism to work - just that the disc's the wrong size to come out . It whirrs as usual, but nothing appears, then it sucks the disc back in and reads it again - sadly. (If it had been up to me we wouldn't have watched it in the first place).

Looks like I'll have to depend on the computer having an attack of good taste, get sick of playing The Jazz Singer and spew it out.

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time, Walrus. Sadly, I've already tried most of the solutions suggested in there (short of fishing around with a bit of sticky tape, which sounds a bit dodgy). It's not a problem getting the eject mechanism to work - just that the disc's the wrong size to come out . It whirrs as usual, but nothing appears, then it sucks the disc back in and reads it again - sadly. (If it had been up to me we wouldn't have watched it in the first place).

Looks like I'll have to depend on the computer having an attack of good taste, get sick of playing The Jazz Singer and spew it out.

Lol. Actually, I had the dodgy sticky tape solution in mind when I sent the links. :D

Reaction score
Hi Bainbo,
Glad I'm not the only person who tried to play that freebie "Ecodisc" and found it stuck in my G5. It's driving me up the wall as I've tried a paper clip and cardboard to help it emerge but it just keeps playing it. This might be a silly question but if I removed the back off my G5 would I be able to see the DVD mechanism and get the b*****y thing out with tweezers?

Ask a Question