CD/DVD Drive help, something is stuck inside

Reaction score
My not-so-smart brother decided to stick a thick guitar pick inside the CD drive of my macbook and now it's stuck inside. I tried shaking it out but nothing happened. I also tried inserting a thin rod into the drive slot thing and moving it around to drag the pick out but it didn't work, and I'm scared of breaking the CD drive or reader (I'm sorry, I honestly don't know much about computers, I'm 17 and I just want to fix what my brother did).

I'm not sure what I should do. I need to get it out because I can't have the CD reader not work forever, this is the computer I synchronize my music from and I can't lose the ability to insert my CDs into it. I don't know if I should try opening the computer up, but I don't know how or if I would break something.

My computer's a 13-inch late 2006 macbook, by the way.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The Genius Bar or an AASP can remove it pretty easily. I don't recommend inserting anything into the slot yourself...you can easily damage the mechanism.

C

Reaction score
The Genius Bar or an AASP can remove it pretty easily. I don't recommend inserting anything into the slot yourself...you can easily damage the mechanism.

C

Okay, thanks, I hadn't thought of that. Since I live outside the US I'd forgotten there was a brand new apple store with a Genius Bar here, haha. I hope it's free.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, it should be a quick (while you wait), free service. It is in the US...stores here do it all the time. But, things change and the non-US stores may be different.

Let us know how it works out,

C

Ask a Question