Pulling videos off an old DVD-R

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm looking for some help in getting some old videos I made off a DVD and onto my desktop.

Around 10 years ago I had a handful of iMovie videos and saved them to a DVD using the program that came standard on Mac. The DVD still works fine, but the issue is that because I wrote the DVD using the program, it functions as a normal video DVD. In other words, when you insert the disc, a video player pops up and shows the DVD menu. I'm able to open the DVD manually, but when inside there are just two folders:

AUDIO_TS
VIDEO_TS

The audio folder is empty, but the video folder has a bunch of files in it with names like:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_1.VOB

And so on. Clicking on one of these files brings up an alert that "There is no application set to open the document “VTS_02_1.VOB”."

I'm hopeful there's some way that I can simply find the original video files within the DVD and save them as MPEG or some other standard format to my desktop.

Does anyone have suggestions? Or is my best bet likely going to be something like playing the videos on my computer and capturing the screen?

Cheers!

Reaction score
A quick google shows there are quite a few software solutions for converting these files. I have never used any of them so am unable to give a recommendation, but most of them a free to use so maybe give some of them a try.

Reaction score
Thanks, Lufbrarunner. Appreciate the response. Would you mind sharing which keywords you searched for to find those results?

Ask a Question