WiFi indicator

Reaction score
So I have resurrected a 2009 MacBookPro, running Mojave, v10.14.16: When it boots, the wi fi indicator on the Apple bar is greyed out and the dialog box say "WIFI NO HARDWARE INSTALLED". News to me because it was there last time I used it. I reinstalled the OS and still no luck. I must have turned something off and can't find a fix.

Any suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, that issue is due to either the Wi-Fi card not being connected properly, or a hardware failure. Depending on the exact model, the Wi-Fi card is located inside the black display hinge cover. It's not a user-accessible part, and components can easily be damaged when servicing the display with the hinge cover removed. The Wi-Fi card is particularly sensitive to static electricity, and can easily be shorted out if the cables aren't connected in the proper way.

-You mentioned you resurrected the MBP...what steps did you perform?
-Which exact model is the MBP?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, that issue is due to either the Wi-Fi card not being connected properly, or a hardware failure. Depending on the exact model, the Wi-Fi card is located inside the black display hinge cover. It's not a user-accessible part, and components can easily be damaged when servicing the display with the hinge cover removed. The Wi-Fi card is particularly sensitive to static electricity, and can easily be shorted out if the cables aren't connected in the proper way.

-You mentioned you resurrected the MBP...what steps did you perform?
-Which exact model is the MBP?

C
I replaced the hard drive with a SSD and upgraded the memory.

I suspect you are correct and the wi-fi card may be the issue.

Next trip to the Apple Store, I'll have the genius look at it and make suggestions.

Thank you for your reply.

Best,

J V O

Ask a Question