WiFi signal

Reaction score
I keep losing the wireless signal on my MacbookPro running v 10.11.6 El Capitan. Can anyone help me set it up from scratch please?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

-Which exact model is the MacBook Pro?
-When did the issue start?
-Do you totally lose the signal, or does it show weak/few bars in the Wi-Fi menu icon?
-Does it happen everywhere, or only certain locations?

C

Reaction score
It is a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 15Inch with SSD and max RAM
The issue seemed to start when I changed to Plusnet's Fibre service.
Yes. although the signal is OK on the router and steady on other devices like iPad and iPhone, I have to log in again on my macbook pro.
I only normally use it indoors at my home and the laptop is just 3 feet from the router.
Thanks for your interest,

John

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I edited your post and removed the quotes so it is easier to read. ;)

It sounds like the signal may be OK, but you are having to re-authenticate to the Wi-Fi on your MBP only? If that is the case, it may be a reasonably simple solution.

Try the following:
-Navigate to  > System Preferences... > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced... > Wi-Fi tab
-Click once to highlight your current Wi-Fi network
-Click the minus - button, OK, then Apply
-When it has been deleted, click on the Wi-Fi icon on the right side of the menu bar and select your Wi-Fi network from the list
-Enter your Wi-Fi credentials and check the box to Remember this network, then click Join
-Go back to  > System Preferences... > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced... > Wi-Fi tab, and click and drag that network name to the top of the list, click OK and Apply

See if that resolves the issue and let us know.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I edited your post and removed the quotes so it is easier to read. ;)

It sounds like the signal may be OK, but you are having to re-authenticate to the Wi-Fi on your MBP only? If that is the case, it may be a reasonably simple solution.

Try the following:
-Navigate to  > System Preferences... > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced... > Wi-Fi tab
-Click once to highlight your current Wi-Fi network
-Click the minus - button, OK, then Apply
-When it has been deleted, click on the Wi-Fi icon on the right side of the menu bar and select your Wi-Fi network from the list
-Enter your Wi-Fi credentials and check the box to Remember this network, then click Join
-Go back to  > System Preferences... > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced... > Wi-Fi tab, and click and drag that network name to the top of the list, click OK and Apply

See if that resolves the issue and let us know.

C
Thanks Cory, I have saved that and will try it next time I lose the signal. I don't want to disturb it now as it has been stable for longer than recently and I don't want to do anything to upset it before it becomes necessary.
John

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...understood.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll go from there.

C

Ask a Question