Network/WiFi Problem

Reaction score
I have an IMac27 late 2013 (I know, it's antique). I also have an HP 700 series Win based box, same vintage, (it's antique too). The HP was the primary machine until recently. It seems to have lost WiFi. 2 smart TV's, an IPad, an IPhone6 and other stuff won't connect wirelessly any more. They all come up with 'no internet, no server, etc.' So... why can't I get the Mac to use it's WiFi to connect anything? The Mac will only 'connect' to the Win based machine, or anything, over the network when you stand on your left foot, facing north and the sun is in full eclipse...or some such. It has always been like that, since I bought them both, the Mac connects to nothing unless it feels like it. I need the Mac's WiFi capabilities until I decide either to repair or trash the HP, but I can't get any wireless connection to anything. It says WiFi is turned on. The TV's are passworded to the modem/router, that's all the Win box ever needed. The Mac is hardwired (cat5) to the router. The Mac is the only powered-up box on the network at the moment. Still the same problems.
I'm at a bit of a loss... Any help greatly appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I am running an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009), so yours is a powerhouse! ;)

A few questions:
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Has it ever reliably connected to Wi-Fi?
-You stated it is hard-wired to the router as well...can it reach the Internet via Ethernet? Is there a reason you have it hard-wired too?
-You stated "2 smart TV's, an IPad, an IPhone6 and other stuff won't connect wirelessly any more." So nothing connects to Wi-Fi any longer?

If nothing connects, I would suggest the following:
-Disconnect the iMac's Ethernet cable
-Power cycle the router
-Make sure Wi-Fi is at the top of the Service Order in the Network preference pane

C

Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but 2 wasted days at Daytona..., and then I had to drive home to see who actually won. No more, 7 times is enough.
To try to answer your questions...
V Mojave 10.14.5
Don't know if it has ever connected - haven't tried, the Win box always took precedence.
I've never relied on WiFi at home, unless it's a laptop. Have always used cat5.
I have done your suggestions. I am, and have been connected to the internet by WiFi on the Mac. I disconnected the cat5 this morning, early. I assume it's been connected all day, cuz it is now. WiFi is the only green listing in the Network Preference pane, and it's at the top. The TV's still will not connect. The Sharp in the living room still says 'server not found', and the bedroom Vizio says 'can't connect to the internet'. Now, I did manage this evening to get the Sharp to reconnect to the router/modem and get Netflix back (gotta watch Stranger Things) by reentering the same password I've used for over 14 months. But still no TV connection to either computer, only to the network. All files & drives are shared. Essentially, the Mac's WiFi appears to be working, but I don't know how to get to it. I'm going to crack down and buy a WiFi card tomorrow for the Win box.
I hope all this makes some sense.

Thanx
Ski

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

It is sounding more like an issue with your modem/router. Have you tried power cycling it - unplug it from AC for 15 seconds, plug it back in and wait for it to finish initializing.

Also, I prefer Ethernet over Wi-Fi on my Macs. I turn off Wi-Fi on them, and simply use Ethernet cables. Of course, your router would need enough LAN ports for each device connected that way - i.e. the PC and the iMac.

What brand/model is the router?

C

Ask a Question