Why does searching Hard Drive produce random results?

Reaction score
OS Mojave.

When I search the HD or "this mac" for something, I seem to get random results, regardless of search settings.
What is the point of a search that produces random results?

Interestingly, this doesn't occur on a Spotlight search; the search results are indeed relevant to the characters entered.

I have attached a brief screen recording detailing what I am talking about. In the recording I go through the different sort types (name, file type, date created etc.) simply to be thorough.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like I can't attach screen recordings. Hopefully this screen shot will do.
Screen Shot .jpg

Reaction score
The word 'TAME' probably appears somewhere in the content of the files.
That had occurred to me... So perhaps the search parameters are set to search for the frequency of the term, as opposed to the title of the document. If so, these are inconvenient parameters for me, and I wonder if this can be changed somehow.
Surely it's more useful to most to search for a term in a document's name, rather than the number of times it appears in the document!

Ask a Question