I tunes does not recognise old library and states there is not one in the location specified - when there is

Reaction score
I have recently tried to set up a new second iTunes library. The problem is that when I then try to go back to the old library , identify the location etc I get a message saying that iTunes cannot find a library at that location. The library/music is on an eternal hard drive and the correct path for this is shown in iTunes preferences. Any suggestions because it takes a long time to rebuild the library every time I lose it

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of iTunes?
-How are you switching between the iTunes Libraries - holding Option when launching iTunes?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply the answers are
imac 2011 10.13.6
High Sierra
iTunes 12.8.2.3
Yes I was holding the option key down to switch

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I have a similar setup, and use multiple libraries as well.

-When you go to select the iTunes Library, are you selecting the iTunes folder, or the iTunes Library file inside it?
-In iTunes > Preferences, are Keep iTunes Media folder organized and Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library checked?
-Approximately how many songs are in the iTunes Library? Videos?

C

Reaction score
The last time I did it when the options to select library came up it listed the name of the saved library I selected that and it said no library at this location. I then browsed and selected the file which I now call iTunes Restored, within that there are 2 files called iTunes library one with an itl ending and one with xml - However the actual songs are in another folder which is a subfolder of media.
Both of the options you noted are selected.

There are 18,000 odd songs using 281 Gb of space.

My worry is that if I again try and create a second library I will lose the existing one and have to start all over again. Its not a disaster but it takes a lot of time particularly restoring the iCloud library which has all my matched tunes.

I would welcome any suggestions and thanks for taking an interest

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

When selecting an iTunes Library folder after Option-launching iTunes, you select the folder, not the iTunes Library.itl or iTunes Library.xml files. Sounds like iTunes Restored is a folder, correct?

Not sure what is happening here. Let me do a bit more research and get back to you.

C

Reaction score
I tunes restored is the folder the library files are sub folders - music is not in the subfolder but in the separate music folder - screenshot attached - if this may make it clearer

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 09.07.20.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 09.07.20.png
    289 KB · Views: 235

Ask a Question