ITunes ripped me off

Reaction score
I bought and paid for an album a few months ago and have been playing ALL 16 songs on it just about everyday. All of a sudden, the album now only has six songs on it. When I select one of the missing songs, I get Apples advertising telling me I need to buy their “Music” app for $9.99/month in order to hear the entire album. When I go into iTunes, it shows the album as purchased and downloaded, but only six songs not 16. There’s no option to redownload it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X/macOS and iTunes?
-Is it like that on all of your Apple devices?

I would contact Apple directly...they are really good at solving purchase issues.

In iTunes:
-Click Account > View My Account... from the menu bar
-Enter your password
-In the Purchase History section, click See All
-Find the purchase in the list, then click the More button under the price you paid for the album
-Click Report a Problem

They are usually very fast in responding.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X/macOS and iTunes?
-Is it like that on all of your Apple devices?

I would contact Apple directly...they are really good at solving purchase issues.

In iTunes:
-Click Account > View My Account... from the menu bar
-Enter your password
-In the Purchase History section, click See All
-Find the purchase in the list, then click the More button under the price you paid for the album
-Click Report a Problem

They are usually very fast in responding.

C
Thanks Cory.

I have:
imac = OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
iPhone and iPad = Software version 12.3.1

Yes, iTunes shows only six out of the 16 purchased on my iMac, iPhone and iPad.

I'll do as you suggest. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

I forgot one: iTunes 12,8.2.3

I did as you suggested. However, after finding my album, there was no price shown, no "more" button and no Click report a problem option.

Reaction score
Thanks again Cory. I finally got my issued resolved. I chatted with five reps for over 3 1/2 hours! They were all very nice and helpful. The last guy got a little snippy with me when I kept asking how this could be prevented. I still don’t know how to keep this from happening again. They finally just told me to delete the album and they re-installed it from their end. I’m going to think long and hard before buying albums this way again. Maybe buying CDs and downloading them myself is smarter.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad you got it resolved.

I have purchased thousands of songs, albums, and movies from iTunes. I have only had one movie disappear from the iTunes Store. Because music labels and movie studios sometimes revoke licensing for their products, it is always wise to download any purchases to your computer. That way, if items "disappear", you will still have access to a downloaded digital copy.

I am not sure what would cause a downloaded file to disappear, unless there is some mechanism in iCloud Music Library that would remove them in a sync if the licensing had changed. I don't subscribe to iCloud Music Library, iTunes Match, or even iCloud Photo Library. I am a very hands-on, old school media guy that likes to manage my media manually, with no automatic anything. Of course, this requires having large multi-TB RAID drives to accommodate all of those media files.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question