What to do about "system" taking over.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have had my MacBook Pro early 2015 since mid 2015. 121GB SSD, 8 GB Ram retina 13 inch and running Mojave 10.14.6.
Really love this Mac. Only work it has needed in the 7 years I have owned it was the installation of a new battery last January.
I have always used CleanMyMacX and ran TM backups on an external HD. To my knowledge the TM's are on ext HD only?
Having issues with "system" not sure what to do about it taking up 10GB annually of my storage. I have 33GB remaining but 80GB is "system".

I thought about updating to a later iOS , however, I like Mojave but guess there will not be more updates? for security etc?.

If I update, will "system" storage revert back to a low number or am I stuck with "system" owning 80GB and a further 10GB every year? What after another few years, will my Mac be overtaken by "system"?
Please explain what to do , upgrade or stay. I do like what I have but I see in 4 years I may have no storage left.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It could be a few things:
  • Full suite of GarageBand Additional Sounds installed - can be many GBs
  • A runaway log file - Huge Apple Mail Logs (Connection Logging Enabled), Gmail logs, etc.
  • TM backups accidentally stored on the internal drive
  • iOS device backups
  • iCloud Drive files cache locally stored
If you update, it may regain some of the space taken up by whatever is causing the issue.

C

Reaction score
GarageBand has been removed as an app some years ago. How do I find/remove GarageBand Additional Sounds? Thank you.

Reaction score
However, I like Mojave. Just how do I find and delete GarageBand Additional Sounds, Thanks.
I did clean email logs, Have Connection Dr working. There are no TM's on my device, only on external HD,s. iOS device backups long gone. I also believe there are no iCloud Drive files stored locally. So how do I reduce "system" from being 75% of my storage? Thanks.

Reaction score
So close, but unanswered question. How do I find/remove GarageBand Additional Sounds? Thank you.

Reaction score
Ok, never mind. Went to the internet and performed this function. I got to 43GB available but cannot remove the 65GB "system" Can anyone say what "system" is exactly?

Reaction score
'System' files are files that do not fall into categories such as Documents, Apps, iCloud Drive, Photos, Other Users, etc..

such as:
Temporary files.
Log files and caches.
Virtual Machine files.
Fonts,
plug-ins.
App support files.
Files and data used by the system.
Runtime system resources.

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I have 40GB available and I like Mojave. I dont want to give up 1/2 that storage to get to Big Sur. So I searched deals on cyber Monday and bought a MacBookAir with Monterey, upgraded to Ventura. Have the best of both worlds; a) MacBookPro with Mojave and still able to use Dashboard; b) new Mac with 256 SSD and up to date,. Especially important for me to be able to download movies and shows for upcoming vacations in Caribbean and Europe, especially since wifi on cruises are lousy when sailing north.
It sounds like planned obsolescence with Apple not updating Mojave, and taking 10GB of space every year for "system". I have really enjoyed this MacBook Pro for 7 years and really have no reason to sell, but did update with a great deal on cyber Monday. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ask a Question