System software taking up too much space

Reaction score
I've recently just upgraded my macbook pro to one of the new models. I was previously using an early 2013 15 inch retina model, running OSX 10.11. I'm new to High Sierra, and although this may be a hardware issue, I think it's probably a software issue. I'd basically like to know why "system" is taking up 130 GB of space. I've only got the 500 GB SSD on my unit, and 130 in my opinion is way too much for the system to be taking up. See screenshots below:

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 11.38.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 11.35.41 AM.png

Reaction score
Yeah, even with all my apps, on my Mac Mini running OS 10.13.3, I am only using about 75 gig (I have a 256 gig SSD), with 51.3 gig of that being taken up by "System Storage".

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

My iMac shows as 107 GB, so your number isn't totally out of control.
imac_hd_space.png

-I see you have 64.45 GB in Music Creation - you added all the loops and instruments to GarageBand and/or Logic Pro X, correct?
-How much RAM is installed? If you have a lot, part of it will be the sleep image and temporary files.
-Did you use Migration Assistant from your old MBP to the new one?

C

Reaction score
Also, if you are using any third party applications, are they all compatible with OS 10.13.3? This link can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

And you can do some disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective. You can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

Ask a Question