SOLVED Strange available space problem

Reaction score
My late 2015 27 inch iMac reported 312gb available space, I deleted a few apps and transferred some data to an external drive and deleted the files on the main disk. The iMac then reported 265gb available space, I then deleted a lot of the tracks from Music and transferred a large number of photos to an external had, the iMac now reports 244gb of available space. Confused, I was advised the starting in safe mode my be beneficial, however the iMac will not boot to safe mode. I have reset both the SMC and NVRAM to no avail. I am thinking I will wipe the drive and do a clean install.

Reaction score
A clean reinstall is a good idea if you have space to back up your data.

Alternatively, you could try a free [I mean free] app called Onyx from:

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Choose the version appropriate to your macOS version, and scroll down to locate the appropriate download link.
After installation, run the Maintenance feature.

If this fails, it will only take a short time, and you can revert to a fresh instal.

Good luck, G

Reaction score
A clean reinstall is a good idea if you have space to back up your data.

Alternatively, you could try a free [I mean free] app called Onyx from:

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Choose the version appropriate to your macOS version, and scroll down to locate the appropriate download link.
After installation, run the Maintenance feature.

If this fails, it will only take a short time, and you can revert to a fresh instal.

Good luck, G
I am currently on a trip to Madrid, I will try Onyx when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Ok, I tried Onyx and it has regained some, but not all of the space. I think I will go ahead with a clean install and see where that takes me.

Reaction score
I wiped the Macintosh HD and did a clean install of Monterey, migrated the applications and data back. Now reporting 811gb available.
Sorted :cool:

Reaction score
As well as freeing up loads of space the imac now boots quicker and shuts down quicker. I think clean installs will be my go to approach for future upgrades.

Ask a Question