Help--system storage memory fluctuates

Reaction score
I keep getting this warning on my MacBook Air 2017 (Mojave 10.14.6, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD).

"your disk is almost full save space by optimising storage."

About-->Storage shows 50 GB free space out of 121.1 GB (see screenshot). But my system files space comes to between 59.79 GB and 49.34 GB. This fluctuates every half a minute or so. There doesn't seem to be clear pattern. It likely happens after some time spent browsing. Or, perhaps when I press dismiss the warning.

This has been going on for some months now. I've freed up a decent bit of space (videos, bigger PDFs, uninstalled iMovie). But the warning is now coming on more frequently.

Something tells me this has to do with system files. I sync Photos through iCloud between my Mac and iPhone. I have Time Machine backups going back years. But I cleared these out by temporarily switching off backups. I also setup an older backup to be read on Outlook Mail.

Other than these I don't think there's much I've done to clog up system files. How do I set things back to normal? Could this lead to a system crash?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 12.47.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 12.47.11 AM.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 5

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We apologize for the delayed response.

You shouldn't be getting that message about the internal storage if free space doesn't fall to below 10-15 GB or so. Could it be your iCloud storage instead?

You aren't storing your Time Machine backups on the internal...you have an external drive, correct?

C

Ask a Question