Weird Problems!

Reaction score
hey guys ..

I recently signed up on this forum and I'm posting this from my iphone since my Macbook Air doesnt connect to internet at all.

The problem which I'm facing is weird and strange the ISP couldnt fix it and they told me its your latop problem contact apple ..

I use a DSL modem to connect to internet via wifi.. I can use the internet perfectly fine on my Ipad, iPhone etc but as soon as I switch on my mac the internet stops. When my laptop is connected I cant acess the internet at all not even through my phones.. My mac shows connected to the internet and full wifi but still doesnt load pages or whatsoever..

I need help I bought my mac just a month ago and I'm starting to get fed up of daily network problems..

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Because nothing else can connect when the MBA is powered on, it sounds like the Network and/or DNS settings on the MBA are causing the issue.

-Did you ever manually change any of the settings in  > System Preferences... > Network?
-Which exact model MacBook Air?
-Which version of OS X?

C

Reaction score
Macbook Air early 2015 13 inch

And Yosemite 10.10.4

I didnt change anything except adding a DNS (8.8.8.8) but that doesnt fix or ruin anything

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Is the DSL modem also the router?
-Does the MBA work on Wi-Fi on other networks?
-In the MBA Network settings, Is the Router number the same as any other IP numbers?

C

Reaction score
Yes it is also the router

My MBA used to work on this DSL on WIFI very fine few weeks ago

Yes the Router number is same as te IPv4 Adress and also the DNS

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...that is still a problem. The IPv4 IP address should not be the same as the Router IP address.

On my network, the IPs for your MacBook Air would be as follows:
Router 10.0.1.1
IPv4 Address: 10.0.1.2
DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8

Your MBA should be set as follows, and will give IPs from the example above:
Network > Wi-Fi > TCP/IP
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
IPv4 Address: 10.0.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.1.1
Configure IPv6: Automatically

Network > Wi-Fi > DNS
DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8

That should still use your custom DNS server, but assign your MBA an IP that has a different/higher number in the last position from your router number.

Can you access the router setup page, or is it locked and supplied by your ISP?

C

Reaction score
Yes I was actually mistaken the IPv4 adress is a quite different from Router IP the DNs is however the same ..

And I can't access the router setup page its provided by my ISP..

I think I cant just resolve it .. It has been like this for over 3 days and Imm missing out on everything..

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
We should be able to resolve it, if it's a software settings issue.

Can you list the following numbers/settings so I can get a better picture of what's going on?

Network > Wi-Fi > TCP/IP
Configure IPv4:
IPv4 Address:
Subnet Mask:
Router:
Configure IPv6:

Network > Wi-Fi > DNS
DNS Servers:
Search Domains:

C

Reaction score
IPv4 : 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

Configure IPv6 : automatically

DNS: 192.168.1.1

Search domains: EMPTY!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks.

-Is the network IP address information shown in the other devices when the MBA similar to those you posted or totally different?

A few things to try:

Remove the 0.0.0.0 in DNS if you can.

Power off all other devices using the Wi-Fi and then power cycle the modem/router:
1. Unplug the power cable
2. Wait 30-60 seconds
3. Plug it back into the power outlet
4. Wait for it to sync back up and all the lights to function

Try connecting with the MBA. If it successfully connects, power on other devices one at a time and see if the issue persists.

C

Reaction score
Hey there I have made a breaking discovery.. I'm able to browse internet perfectly on a GUEST USER ACCOUNT! This will surely give you an idea about whats going on with me.. I hope you can assist me

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...that will narrow it down.

Since it works on the Guest account, then it must be a setting/preference in your normal user account.

I would first look at System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your normal user > Login Items and see what is there.

C

Reaction score
Hey there I think the network problem is solved many thanks but now I cant even logon my mac its stuck on the progress bar after entering the admin password.. I tried safe mode it didnt work either any idea how to get through this without having to reinstall the OSX?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Safe mode should work, although it takes much longer to login. Try resetting PRAM, then startup in safe mode. You don't have FileVault turned on do you?

Also, what corrected the network issue?

C

Reaction score
Hey its been a long time I'm sorry to say but the network problem is still there and in Login Items only 1 application is there "ItuesHelper"

I really really need help

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I will have to think about other possible causes/solutions. At this point, it is getting harder to diagnose remotely, especially since it continues to reoccur. It may be best to visit an Apple Store or other Apple Authorized Service Center to get some hands-on assistance. Networking issues can be very tricky to diagnose/correct without being able to interact with the Mac first-hand.

Will let you know if I come up with anything else.

C

Ask a Question