Web Site DNS Help

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to these forums so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I recently tried to gain access to an old game website. However when I type in the website address I got an error page instead.

www.burnoutteamrocks.com

It seemed to me like the site was simply no longer hosted. Well upon further digging I ran into a post on a forum.

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Right click on the "hosts" file and go down to "Properties".

You want to turn off the "Read-only" option. Hit OK to save the options.

Double click on the "hosts" file and open with Notepad.

Add these lines to the file

Code:

213.171.218.114 www.burnoutteamrocks.com

213.171.218.114 burnoutteamrocks.com

Save.
Basically what this was telling me was that the site still did exist at the above location, you just couldn't enter the site because the DNS **Mumbo jumbo** were offline. To be honest I didn't know what it all meant, I logged over to windows in boot camp, followed the directions, and viola there was the website that I needed.

So my basic question is....How do I do the same in mac? Basically how do I add this site and IP to my "hosts file" in OSX? I just don't want to have to boot camp over every time I wanna get to the website.

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but the first thing I would try is System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> DNS and then click on the + and add the DNS addresse(s) in question. It might do the trick but for sure it won't hurt anything. If it doesn't work you can just leave them there or delete them.

I live in China and they are always messing around with DNS as that is one way they block websites they don't want their people to see... so I quite often add the DNS of websites I visit often... just seems to help!

Wish I could help you more but I'm not smart enough to get into "Hosts" files with you..might lead you astray! :-(

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try the steps that oowf has offered above ^

I tried to go to that website but received the white page and the "Server Can't Be Found" message ?

Reaction score
Not sure this will help.
Also get the site doesn't exist message. I suspect the site is gone or moved.

They've discontinued the site. I believe there is actually a post on the EA forums saying this... Which sucks cause I just started playing again and wanna get my 101% >.<

Ask a Question