Watch Me Do/Record: slow down for menu items

Reaction score
I'm learning Automator in Snow Leopard/10.6 and I just learned an important lesson: when recording using Watch Me Do, it helps a lot to select your menu items slowly. That is, click on the menu, then slowly move down the left hand side of the menu until you reach your desired item, then let go of the mouse to select.

When I was doing it at normal speed, even though I selected the correct item when recording, when playing it back, the mouse would go "off into the weeds" (or, more accurately, to the next menu over and trail off it, selecting nothing and making the workflow fail.)

So I tried going deliberately down the menu, item by item, and it worked! I haven't perfected the technique yet to see I if really need to go that slow - or if I can speed it up a little, but I'm very happy to know that there *is* a way to get it to work.

I was thinking I had a hardware problem with my MacBook Pro 15" 2006's track pad, and I may still have one (based on other unrelated, elusive track pad problems I've seen), but at least I have a workaround too.

Ask a Question