In need of application to WATCH movies on MAC from DLNA source

Reaction score
Hi,

I am newish to MAC. I recently started at a company and they gave me a Mac so I had to learn to use it. However I cannot seem to find a decent DLNA player. I use PS3 media server (same as Universal Media Server) and all my tablets, pc's and PS3 can see the PS3 media server which is hosted on a Windows PC. However I cannot find any nice program to stream movies TO my Mac from the PS3 media server.

Can this really be so hard or am I missing something. I saw somewhere that Mac does not have a native DLNA support (Which is strange) and I will need to use a 3rd party app. So be it, but the only suggestions I can find are to use VLC and I cannot get it working on my Mac.

Can anybody point me to a good DLNA Player for my Mac.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am newish to MAC. I recently started at a company and they gave me a Mac so I had to learn to use it. However I cannot seem to find a decent DLNA player. I use PS3 media server (same as Universal Media Server) and all my tablets, pc's and PS3 can see the PS3 media server which is hosted on a Windows PC. However I cannot find any nice program to stream movies TO my Mac from the PS3 media server.

Can this really be so hard or am I missing something. I saw somewhere that Mac does not have a native DLNA support (Which is strange) and I will need to use a 3rd party app. So be it, but the only suggestions I can find are to use VLC and I cannot get it working on my Mac.

Can anybody point me to a good DLNA Player for my Mac.

Thank you.

I am not familiar with DLNA players for Macs, but VLC works very, very well on both of my Macs for viewing videos. Not sure why you cannot get it to work.

In any event, here is the link to download the (latest) Mac version of VLC:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Also, via google search of "DLNA Players for Macs", this link looks promising:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-good-DLNA-enabled-player-for-Mac

Note that it has specific instructions for using VLC as a DLNA player.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

VLC picks up my PS3 media server, however it looks like it wants to play the entire server, because there is 00:00 next to it like it thinks it's a movie or music file.

Is there no other client that works?

Thanks.

Ask a Question