need invoicing application with autofill capability

Reaction score
I work for a construction company and send out invoices that detail the materials purchased. I need a product that will allow me to create an invoice in a spreadsheet form where the column used for materials will remember frequently used phrases. For instance instead of having to enter "2x4x10 K.D. Spruce" each and every time it gets used, I could get a choice pop-up after entering 2x...
If at all possible, I'd like to be able to do this on an ipad (that's what my boss has available to me), but could do it on my personal Macbook Air if I have to. I have been using the Numbers spreadsheet app on the Ipad, but it doesn't auto-fill the items.

Ipad MD785LL/A vs 8.4
MacBook Air 10.9.5

Reaction score
I have Office 2016 for Mac on both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air), but I have never needed to do what you are suggesting. However, I can see how useful it would be.

Via a google search, I found this site:

https://www.tips.net/Authors/A0001_Allen_Wyatt.html

To the right, I clicked on "Ask a Question", and I wrote up a question that mirrors your inquiry. I asked the question for both Excel 2011 for the Mac and Excel 2016 for the Mac, along with adding the iPad. If I do get an answer, I'll let you know. However, for your MacBook Air, if this can only be done within Excel 2016, you'll need to upgrade your OS to Yosemite, OS 10.10.5. Also, I believe Excel 2011 is/was available separately (instead of purchasing the entire Office 2011 suite), but not sure about Excel 2016.

Additionally, one wonders if this can be done in Numbers. Have you gone on line to try and find a Numbers "community" site like I did for Excel?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, and for your own research.
I have asked around in some Numbers forums and have heard that the lack of an auto-fill is a common complaint. Apparently it was dropped in one of the more recent upgrades and users aren't hopeful of it being returned soon. There was a work around suggested, but it was SO complicated that I knew I didn't want to touch it! I am hoping to find a way to do it without shelling out more $ for excel, although I really liked excel for the many years that I used it.

Reaction score
That's too bad. I have not heard back yet regarding my Excel-related question. One would think such apps as Excel and Numbers would have it. Heck, such functionality is already built into browsers!

Ask a Question