Special need for willing Mac enthusiast : )

Ron Heilig

Reaction score
This is just so silly, and I am almost embarrassed to ask. . . I'm in a place where they use Linux computers, and they bought a printer which isn't really supported very well for Linux. Having the hardest time finding the driver, but I found out that the best solution is to extract a .ppd file from an installation on a Mac computer, and Linux has a way of making full use of that .ppd.

So. . . if anyone has the time and would be so kind. . . it might be a small thing for you, but I've spent most of today trying other approaches. . . if someone could temporarily "install" the following printer via this .dmg file onto their mac computer. . . and then find out where the .ppd file ends up being placed on your computer. . . and then finding a way to email that .ppd file to me. . . it would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ron

Here is the link for the .dmg file (which is useless to me although the .ppd file I need is hidden in it somewhere):

http://support.ricoh.com/bb/pub_e/dr_ut_e/0001306/0001306415/V102/r81676L15.dmg

Ad

Advertisements

Ron Heilig

Reaction score
I can definitely download the .dmg file from the link I sent. But that .dmg files is some kind of Mac-based zip-archived directory for printer installation that contains compressed files and folders, among which is a .ppd file, which is the only item I need. That .ppd ends up getting installed on a Mac computer when the .dmg is used to intall the printer. I'm sure there is some other technical way I could find to extract the .ppd myself, but I have no idea how to! Thanks for replying

Lufbrarunner

Reaction score
My concern is you are a complete stranger asking someone to download a file and run it on their computer, risky in my opinion.

Ron Heilig

Reaction score
Hadn't thought of it that way, but I'm sure that makes it look sketchy on my part. But for whatever it's worth, the reason I'm a "stranger" is that this is a Mac forum and I am really not a Mac User -- just someone who needs some help from someone who is a Mac User.

Also, for whatever it's worth, someone able to help would not have to follow my link. They could alternately go the the trusted ricoh-usa.com website, then go to "Support and Downloads", then search for my model, specifiying "c261", then selecting my printer "SP c261SFNw", then going to the section for, say, "Mac OS X 10.10", and then following the link for the .ppd driver.

(You can see why I just wanted to give people a simple link. : )

Also, it might help you understand this issue if you read this brief article about the dilemma Linux users sometimes may face:

http://www.openprinting.org/driver/Postscript-Ricoh/

This is where I learned about this solution. It worked great with my previous printer. However, the .ppd file for the new one is not yet on their list -- so I thought I'd seek if a Mac guru could help! And then I will even upload the .ppd file (if it works for me) on the OpenPrinting website for others to use!

Hope that explains. I appreciate your taking the time to voice even your apprehension -- you didn't even have to do that. Regards, Ron

Ad

Advertisements

Lufbrarunner

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, let me have your email, in a PM and I will get the files to you.

Ask a Question