Removing Unused/Unneeded Apple Applications

Reaction score
There are a number of Apple applications that I am not using, as I have alternate, third party ones. For example, I have never used Time Machine, as I much prefer SuperDuper!.

So, I am wondering 1) can I remove some Apple applications, and 2) are there any issues with doing that (besides the obvious one that one day I might want to use one/some of them)? The ones I want to remove are:

Calculator
GarageBand
Keynote
"Possibly" Mail
Notes
Numbers
Pages
Time Machine

As most folks know, I recently "upgraded" to High Sierra, OS 10.13.2, on both of my Macs (late 2012 Mac Mini, and mid 2013 13" MacBook Air).

I would appreciate any advice/comments, etc.

Reaction score
I have removed, Numbers, Keynote, Pages and GarageBand with no problem using AppCleaner.
If you try to remove a protected app i.e. Mail, a pop up message will tell you "Cannot remove protected apps" but you can press the Preferences button on that message and deselect "protect default OS X apps" then you should be OK.

The removed apps will be available as Purchased items in the App Store, if you need to re -install them.

Reaction score
Thanks, Lufbrarunner. I am definitely saving some disk space, but still High Sierra is not starting up that quickly.

Ask a Question