Need help with application settings

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new to macs and i have this one thing that i just cannot figure out. I share this laptop with my mom (macbook pro with retina) and we are both admins. When i download an application, it also downloads it on her user. Is there anyway i can prevents that? so our applications will be separate?
Thanks,
:D

Reaction score
we are both admins
NO, you should have another Account that is the Admin Account and both be STANDARD.

You make a Folder in your Home Folder call Applications, and then install the new Apps in there.
So Apps you want in all Accounts go in the Main Applications Folder, the ones you want local in the Home Applications. You will know you have it right because the Folder will have the "Application Folder" Icon.

For the Apps you have already installed you can drag and drop them from the App Folder to the new Folder, then Delete the main one.

SOME Apps may not like this, but if they are well behaved Mac Apps it should work fine. Be carful not to move or delete the standard OS X set, and iLife.

Reaction score
I have two questions, Where is my home Folder and will this work if we are still both admins?|
Thanks btw :)

Reaction score
The Home Folder should be in the Sidebar of every Finder window, the one with the little house.
It also has desktop, Downloads, Pictures, Music etc.

Yes, it will work if you choose to keep your accounts as Admin, but that is a huge security and support risk. It gives you NO additional features or advantages. You will know the Admin Account, User name and Password so when you do something that requires it the Mac will ask for it and you enter them, you don't need to log into it to do anything.
You say you are new to the Mac, perhaps you should take this advise from someone who has been working on Macs since 1984.

Reaction score
Alright i will, and i found it thanks, but when i created and named the folder "Applications" Nothing happened :(

Reaction score
ahh nevermind i figured out you had to drag an app in there. You have been so much help. Is there anyway i can reward you? like tell someone that you have been helpful or recommend you?

Reaction score
Thank you! all the folks here work hard to provide the best online help we can, I wouldn't be able to do it without them!:)

I think this forum allows Likes, over on the bottom right of the post.

Ask a Question