Help with "os x needs to repair library to run applications"!

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some help with a major issue I'm having with my iMac. I recently purchased a used iMac and it was working well until I decided to go ahead and start changing the admin name and eventually the "home directory". I probably should not have done that because when I restarted I was hit with a box that said "os x needs to repair library to run applications". I put in my username and password and nothing happens, the box just keeps appearing. I'm at a point now where I can't even open any applications (I'm writing this on a different computer) or even save a screenshot because it says I don't have permission.Also, for some reason I can't right-click... Is there anyway to fix this without losing the installed apps? The preinstalled apps were a huge selling point for me and if they can't be brought back it'd be a fairly big loss for me. That being said, I'd take a loss of the apps if I could just get the computer functioning properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

btw, its a 27" 5k (Mid 2015) iMac running Yosemite 10.10.2

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How did you change the admin name? That isn't recommended, as it can cause problems like you are experiencing.
-Do you have a lot of documents/files in the damaged user's folders that you need to save?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

You could try this, if you can access your applications folder then terminal.

1) Log in as an administrator

2) Open the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities)

3) Type: sudo update_prebinding -root / -force and press Return.

4) When prompted for a password, enter your admin password, and press Return again. The process may take a few minutes, and you may see various messages flash by. The process is complete when the Terminal returns to a normal prompt.

5) Type exit and press Return.

Ask a Question