SOLVED Viewing two Numbers spreadsheets side by side

Reaction score
How can I view two Numbers spreadsheets side by side? When I open the second spreadsheet, the first spreadsheet window is hidden. I can switch the window in the Windows menu to go back and forth, but I cannot open both windows side by side. I want to see both at the same time to compare them in detail.

Reaction score
Which macOS and which version of numbers are you using?

numbers.png

I am using macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) with numbers 10.1(6913)

Reaction score
There is a neat little app called Magnet (free in the Apple App store) which lets you place a page in a selected part of the screen, e.g. left, right, top, bottom etc.

Reaction score
I am using macOS 10.15.6 (Catalina) with Numbers 10.1 (6913). I tried 'Command + N' but could not get another instance of Numbers to open. I tried two keys (command + N) and three keys (command + shift + N) but neither worked. The first gave me a window "Choose a Template" and the second gave me a Sheet 2 with a blank table.
I did find a solution:
  • Open both spreadsheets, which creates one window with two tabs.
  • Select one of the tabs.
  • In the Window menu, select "Move Tab to New Window."
This creates a second window with the selected spreadsheet, leaving the other spreadsheet in the first window.

Reaction score
This is two years old
The workaround I just thought of is to open Numbers in iCloud on the web. There I can open the same spreadsheet and work on two tabs simultaneously. One on my desktop and one in the cloud.
Which works fine for me, I need one for reference (254 lines log file) and making changes in the other one (log report).
I doubt Apple will ever fix this. And when or if they'll pull the plug on the iCloud apps.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,
No. More like this. Where on the left side I grade on iCloud.com (I'm a teacher) and on the right side I view logs that contribute to the grading in the Numbers app.
And I need to keep everything regarding a course in the same Numbers file in multiple tabs. That way I'm sure not to mix things up with other courses, etc.
Thank you for your reply.

Numbers-Two pages.jpg

Reaction score
Easy enough. But if you’re running Ventura, make sure you disable Stage Manager to keep both windows visible at the same time.

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 09.06.35 (2).jpg

I had plenty of room on my 32" monitor, but you get the idea.

Ask a Question