Desktop viewing

Reaction score
I have duplicated an image I want to save to the desktop but when I click on SAVE nothing seems to happen. I tried saving it again as a document, which I then looked for under Finder and dragged it over to the desktop. I then get a window that says
"You can put items into “Desktop”, but you won’t be able to see them. Do you want to continue? Other users with sufficient permissions will be able to use the items."

Finder then asks for my password to make changes and prepares to copy to desktop but it still doesn't appear on the desktop.

Why can't I see them?

Reaction score
Are you sure it's your desktop you're dragging them to and not another User? Have you tried to make changes to your User Account via a Utility or Terminal?

Reaction score
Sorry to sound stupid but I drag it over to the desktop, with the little plus sign, and drop it on what can only be my desktop. It's my home computer and it has my Macintosh HD icon in the top RH corner. I don't understand where it can be going and why would the message tell me the items will be on the desktop but I won't be able to see them? Why else would I put things there if I can't access them?

Reaction score
I know, it's crazy mixed up, that's the message you get when dropping files into another Users folders.

Have you done a full restart recently?

Ask a Question