Desktop Icons in Sierra (and Earlier OS Versions)

Reaction score
Dumb question here. No earth-shattering consequences or anything.

In the old days, whatever hard drive one booted up from would appear at the top right corner of the desktop window. Normally, that's the internal drive

I noticed a few macOS versions ago that no matter what drive my Mac boots from, the internal drive would always appear at the top regardless of what device is in control. But under Mojave, the startup disk appears at the top, as it should be.

The reason I bring this up is that I'm still running Sierra on my iMac. Sometimes I use an external drive to start up from for different reasons, and this can be confusing.

And since I run Mojave on my MBP, it's not an issue there because the startup disk is always at the top. Is anyone aware of a way to get the startup drive to appear at the top of the other icons in older macOS environments like Sierra or El Capitan?

Simply having a different wallpaper image doesn't work since the external drives I boot from are actually clones. Any help is welcome, but as I said, this is really pretty trivial.

Reaction score
That has never been the case for me, with my SuperDuper! backups. When I start/re-start either of my Macs from that SuperDuper! backup, its icon appears first near the top right hand side, followed by the icon for the Mac's internal drive (SSD in my case), followed by the other SuperDuper! backup I have on that external SSD for my other Mac. It was that way for Sierra, is that way for High Sierra, and for the Mojave test SSD I have, it is that way with Mojave.

Ask a Question