Desktop icons line up - but I don't want that

Reaction score
Hi, I have iMac OS 10.9.5. I've always loved one element of Macs over PCs and that's the fact that you can put your desktop icons anywhere you want to.

About a month ago (I must have clicked something) they all started to line up, and I have absolutely no control over where I put the icons on my desktop. It's driving me mad!

Can anyone tell me how to loosen the control over desktop icons so I can move them around at will?

Thanks Julie

Reaction score
Oh Spawn, I thought you had the answer – but under 'view' I don't have a 'sort by' button. What do I do now?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Oh Spawn, I thought you had the answer – but under 'view' I don't have a 'sort by' button. What do I do now?

Click on the Desktop then check again, here is my menu

Otherwise, look for "Snap To Grid" & make sure it's deselected ...

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 3.30.02 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Spawn, I think you've helped me. I looked up more ideas (using yours as a core idea) and found an path to 'none'. And I think it worked! Thanks so much for your help... I HATE being controlled!

Reaction score
I found the solution on the right-click (I have a PC mouse), but it wasn't under view, it was on the desktop itself. Thanks for your help. Cheers Julie

Reaction score
Hi Spawn, I have another problem... I'm trying to trash icons (and files) from my desktop and continue to get
"The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)"

Do you know what this is and how to fix it?
Thanks Julie

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Julie Zilko said:
I found the solution on the right-click (I have a PC mouse), but it wasn't under view, it was on the desktop itself. Thanks for your help. Cheers Julie

Yes, I have that same option also available in my mouse right-click, I'm still on 10.7.6 Lion so things might have been rearranged a little for you in 10.9.5.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Julie Zilko said:
Hi Spawn, I have another problem... I'm trying to trash icons (and files) from my desktop and continue to get
"The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)"

Do you know what this is and how to fix it?
Thanks Julie

That's a File System error message … what are the files/icons? Are you seeing this error when you try to empty the Trash?

Reaction score
I'm seeing this error when I try to put anything in the trash... photos, files, etc. The trash is empty right now.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
First I would try re-booting, have you done this since this issue began?

Next I would repair Permissions using Disc Utility

Reaction score
I feel like such a dill Spawn... I rebooted and the error message disappeared and the rubbish was able to move to the trash. Perhaps that's the answer to half the problems on this site?
Cheers Julie

Reaction score
Okay, I know I 'm taking advantage of your goodwill, but I have one more issue. Often (very often) when I open iPhoto the wheel of death appears. I go to 'force quit' and it pretty much always needs quitting and restarting. Why is this happening, do you think?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Don't feel like a dill … love that expression btw! Hope it's not pouring up there as it is down here! Hasn't stopped!

Glad it's all getting sorted out for you Julie! Often it's a good idea to reboot as this sometimes clears out the cobwebs ...

Have you gone and repaired Permissions?

Do you roughly know how large your iPhoto Library is?

Do you have plenty of free space on your internal drive?

Ask a Question