Viewing PDFs

Reaction score
Ever since I installed Leapard on my Mac I haven't been able to view PDFs using Acrobat Reader 9. Even if I try and manually designate Acrobat 9 as the application to read the PDF it still won't read it. I have even tried deleting it and re downloading/installing...and it continues to not work. What I can do is download PDF's to my desktop and view then with Preview. This is incredibly inconvenient and annoying, however, Does anyone know why Acrobat 9 won't work, or how I can fix this problem?

Reaction score
That's strange. I was able to change the default from Preview to Acrobat. Did you do a global change to use Acrobat every time? In case you want to double check that, here are a couple of methods:

(1) Find a PDF in your Mac.
(2) Hold the option key down and right-click (or control click) on the icon.
(3) The second menu item you will see says "Always open with" and to its right a list of applications.
(4) Select Acrobat. From then one, all PDFs will open with Acrobat.

The second method is similar.
(1) Find a PDF in your Mac.
(2) Highlight its icon and do a command + I.
(3) Look at the section that says "Open with" in the window that opens.
(4) Select Acrobat and click "Change All." From then one, all PDFs will open with Acrobat.

Reaction score
Thanks for response! I tried what you've suggested, but only found that Acrobat is already the default PDF reader (so I couldnt change anything). Online PDFs are what I am having trouble with. I can't view online PDFs using Safari....I am able to view them with Opera though.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

in Acrobat have you changed the preferences-->

Acrobat menu-->Preferences-->Internet-->display PDF in browser using

Screen shot below is Acrobat 8.1.2 Professional.

acrobat_screengrab.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question