video slowdown to freeze

Reaction score
hello, im sorry if i put this in the wrong forum, i tried to search for previous topics regarding my problem and couldnt find any.

im using a Macbook on osx 10.4.11, and to be honest, im not to computer savy.
lately i have been having alot of problems while watching .AVI movies and such. at first if i had multiple programs open at once, the video would drop its speed to nearly a skip. i would close most of my programs (mozilla, vuze, itunes, lastfm, iphoto, ect) and the movies would play fine, no even when i close all my programs so that only quicktime player is open, with in a few minutes im back to the choppy standstill.

at first i thought it might have been due to memory shortage on my hardrive, so i freed up 12 gigs and that worked for a while, but now im still at 12gigs and my movies are getting unbearable to watch. even dvd's now stop playing due to whatever the problem is.

is there a way to defrag my hardrive? i am super broke so buying programs like idefrag and what not are not really an option for me at the moment. if that would even do anything. iv had this mac for about 5 years now, its had two hardrive replacements(three if you count it not coming with a harddrive when i first bought it straight from the apple store, supposedly brand new)

could it possibly be that quicktime is the problem? is there another program i could use to watch avi video files?

any help or insite into my problem would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time.

Ask a Question