"Auto-Play" Videos in QuickTime?

Reaction score
I have a large number of music videos in QuickTime format, and I’d like to know if there’s a way to get them to play back-to-back-to-back automatically, like they would in iTunes.

I always thought Apple should’ve included that as a feature, but whatever.

I assume there are probably a couple of Terminal commands I could use, but I rarely venture into that dark realm because I’m a big chicken about screwing things up beyond all recognition. If this is the case, anyone posting said commands would be of great help.

And if this is the case, could I simply make aliases of the files I want to play and do a bit of renaming of said aliases to get them to play in the order I might want?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
The best video player by and far is VLC, available from here:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

(That is the latest version, by the way. Came out on Friday)

And it can play videos back-to-back:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/12/05/play-multiple-videos-mac-video-playlist/
I tried VLC once. And it changed the default settings of every video I own and didn't like that at all because I've got hundreds and hundreds of QT files scattered through multiple folders and for whatever reason, it took multiple attempts in the Get Info "Open With" and "Change All..." to get things right. But that was long ago under El Capitan, so maybe things'll be different this time. I'll give it a whirl and see how it works. Thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
You're welcome. And most likely you were using a somewhat "ancient" version of VLC. The are always making improvements to that program.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I tried VLC once. And it changed the default settings of every video I own and didn't like that at all because I've got hundreds and hundreds of QT files scattered through multiple folders and for whatever reason, it took multiple attempts in the Get Info "Open With" and "Change All..." to get things right. But that was long ago under El Capitan, so maybe things'll be different this time. I'll give it a whirl and see how it works. Thanks a bunch!

Just be sure not to allow VLC to take over & launch whenever a movie video in QT format is double clicked.

What I mean is in the files Get Info window, if you choose VLC in the pop up menu you will then be enticed to allow VLC to always open files of this type, which in turn will alter the files icon to a VLC icon.

So if you want full control just choose the Open With contextual menu to locate VLC for QT files.

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 4.43.09 pm.png

Reaction score
I believe one can also just launch VLC on it's own, and then navigate (ie, open) to where the video is located.

Reaction score
Can you not import them into iTunes and create a playlist?

While that is a possibility, note what was stated in the link I provided above about using VLC:

"As mentioned before, you can also create a new playlist in iTunes and play multiple video files that way, but VLC is a better choice for many users because VLC has a very broad range of media file compatibility and is able to play MOV, MKV, AVI, WMV, amongst many other video file formats"

So if the playlist includes videos with various formats, VLC would do a better job of playing such videos.

Also, that link above says "Drag and drop those selected video files into the VLC icon, or the VLC application interface that is open in Mac OS". Well, I just did that, dragging an entire folder containing all the episodes from "The Killing", Season 1, and sure enough after it played the first episode, it started playing the second one.

Last edited:

Ask a Question