Video editing problem

Reaction score
Hi there
I want to crop a few videos I shot on holiday using my iPhone 13 Pro. But when I transferred them to my iMac I got a message saying 'Unsupported Video Format - the full resolution video is unsupported'.

I know I can edit them on the phone itself, but it's much easier on a big screen. I'm sure that's how I used to do it. Any ideas what's happening?

I'm running macOS Monterey v12.6.

Thanks for any tips. I can't code, by the way, so hold back on the complex solutions!

Reaction score
I just use Photos (which I should have mentioned). My 'editing' normally just means 'trimming', and up to now Photos has been fine for that.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.
  • I assume you imported them directly into Photos from your iPhone?
  • Are they 4K or 60 fps videos by chance? If so, maybe Photos doesn't support that resolution and you may need to use iMovie?
I only have an iPhone 6s and don't shoot many videos at all, so it may be hard to troubleshoot on my end.

C

Reaction score
Hi

Yes, direct from my iPhone 13. The videos are HDR so that could well be the problem. Presumably, previous iPhones used a lower dynamic range, which Photos could cope with.

I may have to use iMovies but to my very much non-tech mind, the current version isn't nearly as simple to use as the version I used to play around with (version 8), so I try not to bother with it. But it looks like the only solution, barring downloading yet more software.

Many thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Maybe change the video recording settings on the iPhone, do a test recording, import it, and see if that resolves it.

C

Ask a Question