2012 Mac pro for Video Editing with 3 Monitors?

Reaction score
Hello,Not knowing much about computer hardware ,I'm currently considering purchasing a 2012 Mac pro which I'm planning to use as my main workstation machine aswell as learn video editing on.
But a few questions are on my mind

Here are the specs:
  • One 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (6 cores)
  • 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM (4 x 8GB)
  • 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive (Western Digital Black OEM)
  • ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (includes 2 x Mini DisplayPorts and 1 x Dual-Link DVI port)
  • One 18x SuperDrive
Would this (one) processor be preferrable for even the most intense tasks?
(I know this can hold two CPUs but now sure how the difference occurs)

Would a different graphics card be more beneficial?

Ports include five USB 2.0 ports, four Firewire "800" ports, dual Gigabit Ethernet, two Mini DisplayPorts and a dual-link DVI port, among others.

Is it possible to connect 3 HDMI input monitors to this machine(if so what adapter combination is recommended?)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

That Mac Pro would be a good entry to mid-level Mac for video editing. However, the more CPUs/processor cores and RAM you have, the better. Also, you're going to need A LOT of hard drive storage for video work...many TBs.

To run three HDMI monitors simultaneously, you would need at least a second video card installed. Apple doesn't manufacture a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but there are some third-party adapters available. To connect three HDMI displays, you may actually need to replace the stock video card with two or three cards that have HDMI ports built-in. Do you really need to connect three HDMI monitors?

C

Reaction score
ty for ur reply,
Also can I not do:
mini -> hdmi
mini -> hdmi
dual-link dvi -> hdmi
to 3 monitors to make it work?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score

Ask a Question