Video CD-ROM Conversion

Reaction score
Hello fine people,

I've been helping my company through their extensive rebranding process and I've hit a snag concerning educational material created over ten years ago. Information is still relative; format, not so much.

Particularly, there is a 3-disc "Video CD-ROM" which is being very CD-ROM-like and will only play as intended on a Windows machine. It starts with a menu like a DVD would, with a few general education topics listed. Selecting one creates a secondary dropdown menu of more specific options and so on, until a such an item is chosen that a corresponding 60-second video is played. After the video, the viewer returns to the menu screen.

Many of our clients use Macs or DVD players and have exhibited their frustrations with our pigeon-holed product. So my question is: How Can I Convert this Video CD-ROM to a universal DVD?

My intention is to preserve its organization and functionality, yet allow it to be played from disc on a PC, Mac, or even a standalone DVD player. I've scraped each disc of its content onto my harddrive and mostly have .SWF files (the interactive menus) and .FLV files (the 60-second clips), plus the expected "start.exe" and autorun files.

Thank you, dear princes and princesses of the internet.

Reaction score
Have I posted in the wrong section? Am I missing an obvious answer? (Google didn't seem to think so...) Did my longwinded post scare off potential saviors?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Sorry it took us so long to respond.

There really isn't a way to convert this, as it was authored with very old media technologies. In addition, it was created for Windows machines, not Macs.

-What is the company and title of the VCD?
-Do they have a more recent version?

Many discs like this are never updated, simply due to amount of money, staffing, and time it would take for the original company to update and re-release it. This is also why it isn't possible for you to convert yourself. Since the media itself is so old, it wouldn't be of very good quality at all, even if it could be converted.

Sorry for the bad news.

C

Ask a Question