SOLVED USB Apple Superdrive connection issue on MacBook Pro 2020 M1

Reaction score
Hello, I have just purchased an Apple USB Superdrive which I am trying to connect through a hub to my new MacBook Pro M1. Its not working. It looks like a power issue (this is what I get as a message from the machine). Any tip on what cable I shoiuld get in order to allow the connection? Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Is the hub powered?
Have you tried connecting direct to the mac?
The hub is not powered and i cannot connect directly since the Superdrive has a USB A male and the macbookPro USB 3 female. But apparently a normal adapter would not work unless its usb 3.1 or 4. So my question is, is there any such cable? If yes, which one? Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Hi,

is there any such cable? If yes, which one?
I just bought an ByEasy 4-port USB 3.1 splitter for my new MacBook Air and works well, (would defiantly recommend it) :)

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your precious advices. Following Cory's suggestion, I have ordered an Apple adapter, hoping it will have sufficient power for the Superdrive. I will keep you informed!
Bye
S.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I can confirm that the Apple USB-C to USB adapter does supply enough (pass-thru) power to run an Apple USB SuperDrive on my M1 Mac mini via one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports. Works perfectly.

Let us know how it goes for you.

C

Reaction score
It works perfectly! I have no words to thank you all for your help. Now I can fully enjoy my new MCP M1.
S.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You would need a powered USB hub, or this adapter: Apple USB-C to USB Adapter

C
My 2013 SuperDrive does *not* work when attached to a powered "atolla USB 3.0 hub". The power supply is 5V 4A total. The hub has seven USB 3.0 ports, each with an on/off switch. Even when only one port is powered on, the SuperDrive rejects it.

I also have a Mac CD/DVD drive I removed from a MacBook Pro. I mounted it in a no-name external USB enclosure, and it works with hubs.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I have heard of that issue with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It is always recommended to connect it directly to a Mac, and only works with Macs that shipped without built-in optical drives.

C

Ask a Question