USB audio input device keeps disappearing

Reaction score
I just bought a cassette to MP3 converter, but when I go to System Preferences-->Audio--> input, it keeps appearing and disappearing. Audacity won't recognize it at all. The player itself works, and I tried using a different cord that I know is reliable, but it still hasn't made a difference. I'm currently syncing my iPod using one of the USB ports I tried, so I don't think the problem is there. When I tested the tape player it was plugged in to my computer for power, so I'm thinking I will try to find some batteries to see if that makes a difference. Any other ideas what the problem could be? I'm running Catalina, 10.15.6.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Let us know if the batteries help, as some external devices have issues being powered by the USB connection, and will either not be recognized, or will mount/unmount/mount/etc.

Also, make sure you switch audio input in System Preferences... > Audio > Input to USB. Then you can try Audacity and/or GarageBand and see if it is recognized.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Let us know if the batteries help, as some external devices have issues being powered by the USB connection, and will either not be recognized, or will mount/unmount/mount/etc.

Also, make sure you switch audio input in System Preferences... > Audio > Input to USB. Then you can try Audacity and/or GarageBand and see if it is recognized.

C

I tried the batteries, didn't help. And my problem was that I couldn't switch the input to USB, as it kept appearing and dissappearing as an option.
I've also asked about this on the Audacity forum and it looks like lots of other Mac users have the same problem, and no real solution has been found.

Ask a Question