How to connect HDMI video output to Apple 27" Cinema Display's USB ports?

Reaction score
I have a Sony HDD/DVD receiver with a HDMI output that I want to be able to connect to an Apple 27" Cinema Display that only has USB ports. I have a 15"Macbook Pro with 2 Thunderbolt, 1 HDMI and 2 USB ports. It seems impossible to find a HDMI to USB adapter, so can anyone suggest a workaround so I can play back DVD & HDD video on the Cinema Display? It must be possible!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately, you cannot convert/connect an HDMI output through any kind of adapter to the USB ports on the Cinema Display. The Mini DisplayPort on the Cinema Display is an output only, not an input. The USB ports are for peripherals like a mouse/keyboard/USB hard drive/etc. The Sony receiver and Cinema Display cannot be connected together.

Your MBP has a Thunderbolt port, which actually doubles as a Mini DisplayPort connection for displays. You should be able to the Mini DisplayPort cable from the Cinema Display directly into the Thunderbolt port to use it as a second display.

-Which exact model MacBook Pro?
-Which version of macOS?
-Which exact model is the Cinema Display?

C

Reaction score
thank you, the MBP is Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013, High Sierra, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i7, S/n C02K875NFFT0.
The Display is a 27-inch (2560 x 1440) LED Cinema Display with 3 ports, all USB. No thunderbolt. Display Serial Number: 2A1240GU6JL
Yes, I can connect the MBP via the thunderbolt port to the display, but that does not get the video input HDMI signal from the Sony HDD/DVD player on the cinema display, because the HDMI port on the MBP is output only, not input. There must be a solution!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

The Apple LED Cinema Display (27-inch) should have two sets of cables coming from it - one is the AC plug, and the other has three cables - MagSafe for charging the MacBook family, USB (connects to USB on Mac to use as hub, and Mini DisplayPort (connects to Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt for video from Mac). The three USB ports on the back are simply a hub, so you can connect peripherals as I described previously.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to use the Cinema Display with the Sony.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
hi, Thanks. I do however, have a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter cable. Would this work: Use that cable from HDMI out on the Sony and send the signal into the Thunderbolt port on the MBP, which then is connected from the other Thunderbolt MBP port to the Cinema Display?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

-You are trying to use the Cinema as a direct display for the Sony, correct? Unfortunately not possible.
-What is the model of the Sony? Is it something like the Sony RDR-HXD890 DVD/HDD Recorder?
-You can buy an Apple USB SuperDrive to play DVDs from your MacBook Pro to the Cinema Display.
-If the files you are trying to view from the Sony are commerical DVDs/video files, the HCDP copy protection would prevent them from being input on the Mac, even with a video converter.
-I don't believe the Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter would work in that configuration. If it did, the HDCP protection would prevent it from being viewable on the Mac.

C

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I found a screen that works via HDMI with the Sony RDR-HX680. But I need to find a way to transfer the video file of a film from the HDD on the Sony, or from a DVD with the same film (my own film, not copyright-protected) that I also have recorded on the Sony. So, how to transfer the video file from either the HDD or the DVD on the Sony to my MBP?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Glad you found a workable display.

You should be able to use the dubbing feature to copy a video from the HDD to a DVD. Information is on page 65 of the Operating Instructions manual. Once that is done, you can use a DVD drive attached to the MBP to "rip" the DVD using an application like Handbrake. Of course there are legal issues with commercial copyrighted material, but homemade videos should work without any additional setup.

C

Ask a Question