SOLVED Dell P2421DC, MacBook Air, no USB Type-C signal from device

ALM

Reaction score
Just got a DELL P2421DC monitor. Tried to hook it up to my MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018),
using the USB Type-C cable provided in the box by Dell. Got the "No USB Type-C signal from device" message. Where am I going wrong?

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a few questions.

1. Does this monitor support a display port? if so you should be useing a thunderbolt to display cable.
2. If it does not then you will need a HDMI TO HDMI as well as a thunderbolt to dvi cable.

Last edited:

ALM

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, it's got all those:

Transform your productivity
Do more with a 23.8" QHD USB-C monitor that expands your workspace. Get a better view of all your important tasks while reducing cable clutter.

Built-in Devices
1 x USB Type-C port
2 x USB 3.0 port - Side
2 x USB 2.0 port - Bottom
Connectivity
1 x HDMI 1.4
1 x DP 1.2 (in)
1 x DP 1.2 (out)

Tomorrow, I'll get a hub and will try the HDMI, but I got this monitor because it had the USB Type-C port to connect directly. Might send it back.

ALM

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The USB-C port isn't for video...it is used as a USB-C/3/2 device hub. That model supports video input using DisplayPort or HDMI. You would use an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter from the MBA to an HDMI cable to the Dell.

Hope that helps.

C

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try the HDMI today; however, if you look at the picture in how it's advertised you can see how one might be led into believing that you only need to connect a USB-C cable from port to port. What exactly is the USB-C port for on the monitor?

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.01.37.png

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh, OK. I hadn't all of read that...just the following from your first link:

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 09.41.49.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 09.41.27.png

That sounded like HDMI and DisplayPort for video, USB-C as a hub for devices like storage, mice, etc.

If it is supposed to do video via USB-C, it may be best to contact Dell Support to see if they have any ideas for Mac video connectivity via USB-C.

C

ALM

Reaction score
I think I solved the problem: It's was deceptive Dell advertising. The model I bought does not support video through USB-C (it does support charging).

Ask a Question