Upgrading from 10.3.9 to ... anything better!

Reaction score
Hello there
I have a problem and would be very grateful for any suggestions/ help.

I have an iBook G4, 640 MB Ram, 800 Mhz PowerPC, running 10.3.9

I was given an iPod touch for Christmas which needs 10.4 or greater. I actually have 10.5 Leopard but it won't install on my computer, I think its needs more than 800 Mhz. As far as I know I can't do anything about that, so it seems the best option would be to upgrade to 10.4 - but I can't find it ... The only website I can find that sells it is over £100, which seems a bit of a premium considering that's more than Leopard costs!

I don't know if there is anything else I can do - or if anyone knows where I might be able to get hold of Tiger? I have looked on Ebay but I am a bit wary of spending quite a lot of money on something which could be dodgy... Amazon has nothing, Amazon US does but shipping time is something like 12 weeks from Marketplace!

Very grateful for any suggestions. I just want to use my lovely iPod!
Thank you

Reaction score
I am not an expert, but your iPod Touch should not require 10.4 at all. I have one that I use on my 10.3.9 machine no problem. The only thing it does require as that you have a USB 2.0 port. As long as you can run the latest version of iTunes, you shouldn't need to upgrade your OS.

Reaction score
The ipod touch does not require 10.4 - it does, however, require the latest itunes program to be installed, so you do need to update your itunes for it to recognise your ipod touch.

Reaction score
Yes and iTunes can be updated to the most recent version while using 10.3.9 very easily. That will save you the trouble of trying to install Leopard (orTiger) on your G4 which can be a much more difficult process.

Reaction score
I don't know why leopard won't install, my friend bought my old ibook g4 800mhz and is running leopard on it. he did upgrade to 1152 (1024+128) MB ram, so maybe you need more memory?

Reaction score
Well, according to my iBook, and to Apples system requirements for iPod touch
(http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html)
It does require 10.4.10 or later. I tried it with my 10.3.9 and it came up with "this ipod cannot run on this system" or something to that effect.

Mr. MacWare: I can't upgrade to Leopard because it requires "Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor" - mine is 800MHz, alas.

However I now have another much more major problem which I shall have to start another thread about ... sob!

Reaction score
I do apologise, you will have to upgrade to Tiger (which you should be able to get cheap now if you look around), you don't need Leopard - and Tiger will run on your system.

Ask a Question