Upgrading CPU in Core Duo iMac so it can run later OS

Reaction score
My parents are currently using one of the original 2 Ghz Intel iMacs with the Core Duo CPU. As it stands, the latest OS it can run is Snow Leopard, and I'm a bit worried about security implications (e.g. there are no actively maintained web browsers that I know of).

I found out that it's possible to upgrade the CPU in these to the Core 2 Duo - would doing so allow the OS to be upgraded to something more modern that can run more current software? If so, what's the latest OS it would be able to run?

I'd like to avoid having to get a newer machine entirely as the one they've got is fine for their needs.

Thanks.

<edit: Whoa, I've just found a guide as to what that would actually involve. That's by far the most complicated upgrade I've ever seen. I've done things like replace bits of phones, tablets, laptops etc. and assumed it would be similarly fiddly but possible with care, but this seems an order of magnitude worse. Maybe I won't bother....>

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yeah, that's not an upgrade you want to undertake. It's far more complicated than it actually looks, and it is easy to damage the internals when performing it.

You could always find a more recent used model, or even look at the Mac mini, as it can be relatively inexpensive compared to the iMac.

C

Reaction score
Hah, yes. Seriously fiddly looking - the chances of me getting through that without breaking something aren't good.

I guess I'll either put up with the potential risks or find a more recent refurbished model. Or run Windows on the existing one... ahem. But I'd rather not change the interface as my parents aren't very tech-savvy.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I know what you mean.

-What exact model is it?
-What version of OS X is on it now?

C

Reaction score
It's one of the original Intel iMacs with the 2.0 GHz Core Duo processor (not Core 2). So it won't run anything more recent than Snow Leopard, which is what it's on now. It's working OK, though a bit sluggish sometimes so maybe a more recent machine is a good idea anyway. I'll stick with the current situation for now and maybe look out for a reasonably priced refurbished iMac.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I gave up Safari a while ago as it was no longer supported on my system, but then Firefox also became unsupported. Didn't know about the ESR release though - that should keep us going for a bit yet, as the web browser is probably the biggest security concern.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I have seen mention of software that permits using older iron with Sierra and maybe even High Sierra. You might look for that. Sorry can't recall details. But...
It would run slowly because the latest MAC OS assume certain level of hardware.
I purchase a used MACbook that will run Yosemite for $122. I forgot where but the place sold almost every mode; MAC book made. $122 was the least expensive if I recall.
If you can find the place for the sw or the sale of used MacBooks and no one else posts I could search for you.

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if there was any way to get it to work like that. There'd be no reason for Apple to even include 32 bit builds if they don't want to support those old CPUs.

At the moment I'm thinking about getting a somewhat newer iMac or Mac Mini - they're not too expensive second hand, and would have the advantage of a significant speed boost.

Reaction score
Here is followup to my earlier post.

Info on macOS Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

Machines Supported
-Early-2008 or newer Mac Pro, iMac, or MacBook Pro (MacPro 3,1 and 4,1, iMac 8,1 and 9,1, MacBook Pro 4,1, 5,1 5,2, 5,3, 5,4, and 5,5) -Late-2008 or newer MacBook Air or Aluminum Unibody MacBook (MacBookAir 2,1, MacBook 5,1)
-Early-2009 or newer Mac Mini or white MacBook (Macmini 3,1, MacBook 5,2)
-Early-2008 or newer Xserve (Xserve 2,1)

Machines that ARE NOT supported:

- 2006-2007 Mac Pros, iMacs, MacBook Pros, and Mac Minis (MacPro 1,1 and 2,1, iMac 4,1, 5,1, 5,2, 6,1 and 7,1, MacBook Pro 1,1, 2,1, and 3,1, Macmini 1,1 and 2,1) -- The 2007 iMac 7,1 is compatible if the CPU is upgraded to a Penryn-based Core 2 Duo, such as a T9300.
- 2006-2008 MacBooks (MacBook 1,1, 2,1 3,1 and 4,1)
- 2008 MacBook Air (MacBookAir 1,1)

Ask a Question