Turn off notification sound for App Store

Reaction score
I simply want to stop my MacBook Air playing a loud sound when the App Store has a new update.
Ok you're thinking this is an easy one but I've searched for this and the standard advice is to go to Notifications and turn off the sound there, but the App Store isn't listed there. Or the advice says go to System Preferences then choose App Store. But App Store isn't there either. It's listed in the apple menu right below system preferences. So if click on that and open the App Store and go to preferences the options are to Automatically download, or automatically download apps purchased on other devices. Nothing about sound. I still want it to tell me when there is an update but I don't want the random loud DONG. I don't know what to do here. Searching for an answer is difficult because all the search terms apply to other things. Am I supposed to assign some custom sound that has zero volume? That seems like a ridiculous work around for something so basic. Surely this is a simple fix and I'm an idiot. Can anyone help me with this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There isn't any way to disable that notification sound that I know of, other than disabling these settings and running updates manually:
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 08.48.56.png

Funny thing though, I have them all enabled and I haven't heard the random chime that you are experiencing.

C

Ask a Question