Turn off ping sound for notifications on Mac

Reaction score
whenever I get an email or there is a facebook post, my MacBookAir pings. Is it possible to turn that ping off. It's awfully distracting. It seems insistent and regardless of what I am doing, I feel I have to attend to it. I don't want to turn the sound off entirely--just that ping

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like you are hearing the Notifications sounds. You can go to  > System Preferences... > Notifications, click Mail in the list, then uncheck Play sound for notifications. Not sure where the Facebook notification would be, as I don't use it.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
So, it still makes the noise when you receive an email, there is a Facebook post, or both? Did you find the same setting for Facebook?

C

Reaction score
I looked and looked for notifictions on facebook and eventually found it and turned, I think, all of them off (I think) --about 30 of them--everything that had a bell icon next to it. I had no idea how much information there was about me on facebook. Creepy. I sort of knew it but didn't really. I changed lots of settings without exactly knowing what Iwas doing but I hope that annoying sound will disappear. If I didn't get stuff from friends, I guess I'd quit this thing. Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Where did you find those settings in System Preferences?

I tried to add my Facebook account in Internet Accounts, but it won't authenticate from this Mac for some reason.

C

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find facebook preferences. The thing still pings when I get an email even though I turned all notifications that I could find OFF. I'll look again but it's hidden somewhere.

Reaction score
I've turned off all notifications that I could find but this thing still pings when I get an email or facebook message. Since I work on this computer, every time this happens I get distracted and lose focus on my work. Very annoying. I'm distractable as it is...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood.

You can disable all Notifications by enabling Do Not Disturb:

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 11.14.44.png

NOTE: My clock is set to 24-hour format, so that is 3 AM to 2:59 AM. This will prevent the sounds, but it will also prevent any on-screen banners/alerts.

I am still looking into other resolutions.

C

Reaction score
whenever I get an email or there is a facebook post, my MacBookAir pings. Is it possible to turn that ping off. It's awfully distracting. It seems insistent and regardless of what I am doing, I feel I have to attend to it. I don't want to turn the sound off entirely--just that ping
Did anyone answer this? I just spent about 2 hours finding all of my applications on my MacBook Air (using Finder>Applications) and opening the Preferences from the File menu (usually) and I FINALLY found an app that pings with the particular annoying sound that's been driving me nuts. That app was the Apple provided mail app, the one with the blue envelope icon. That darn thing had its own ping - I knew it had to be something weird because I had turned off all notifications in the MacBook Air preferences, for every app. But it turns out there are other places where the same app can be send out notifications sounds. Good luck, I think I finally got it..

Reaction score
Hi Whitney,
Where did you find that you could edit that App besides on the notifications settings under System Preferences? This pinging is driving me crazy!
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Safari can track notifications across different web site so if this is Facebook related, look under Safari preferences --> web sites --> notifications. See if there is a Facebook. entry there and flip the toggle to "deny". See if that fixes it. Not sure it will but can't hurt.

Reaction score
I looked under Safari preferences —> websites and no notifications are turned on. Still pinging. Thanks though.

Reaction score
If you are using the Apple Mail app as your mail client, go to the general settings in the Mail app and uncheck the Play Sounds for other mail actions and set the New Message Sound to None. That will turn off all sound notifications for email for the Mail app. If you're using a different email app, check the preferences for new mail sounds and turn them off.

Reaction score
Did anyone answer this? I just spent about 2 hours finding all of my applications on my MacBook Air (using Finder>Applications) and opening the Preferences from the File menu (usually) and I FINALLY found an app that pings with the particular annoying sound that's been driving me nuts. That app was the Apple provided mail app, the one with the blue envelope icon. That darn thing had its own ping - I knew it had to be something weird because I had turned off all notifications in the MacBook Air preferences, for every app. But it turns out there are other places where the same app can be send out notifications sounds. Good luck, I think I finally got it..
I just tried this. Fingers crossed that the random submarine ping has been found and shut off. Grrrr. Thx!

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like you are hearing the Notifications sounds. You can go to  > System Preferences... > Notifications, click Mail in the list, then uncheck Play sound for notifications. Not sure where the Facebook notification would be, as I don't use it.

C
i turned off all sound notifications and its still pinging periodically and randomly.

Ask a Question