Mac keeps turning off halfway though start up

Reaction score
Need the following information:

1. What Mac model do you have? And how old is it?
2. What Mac OS are you running?
3. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device?
4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

Reaction score
Need the following information:

1. What Mac model do you have? And how old is it?
2. What Mac OS are you running?
3. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device?
4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?
Its a 2011 macbook Pro, os is high sierra, I have no back ups unfortinatlyand I've tried to run first aid. If you click on the image on my reply to my post it links to an image of the failed first aid run

Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It may be a corrupted disk directory, or possibly a failing drive. That drive looks like a 2.5" Seagate 5400-rpm standard drive mechanism.

There are some applications like DiskWarrior that may be able to repair a damaged disk directory, but if the drive is actually failing, you could lose all of the data.

Do you have another Mac, as you may be able to use Target Disk Mode and connect the MBP as a hard drive to attempt copying the data.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

It may be a corrupted disk directory, or possibly a failing drive. That drive looks like a 2.5" Seagate 5400-rpm standard drive mechanism.

There are some applications like DiskWarrior that may be able to repair a damaged disk directory, but if the drive is actually failing, you could lose all of the data.

Do you have another Mac, as you may be able to use Target Disk Mode and connect the MBP as a hard drive to attempt copying the data.

C
Unfortunately I don't have another Mac is there any other way?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The only other ways are to setup OS X on an external drive to startup from, or run some utilities on the internal like DiskWarrior. However, if the drive is failing and not just corrupted, you may lose that data on the drive when attempting additional repairs with DiskWarrior and the like.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

The only other ways are to setup OS X on an external drive to startup from, or run some utilities on the internal like DiskWarrior. However, if the drive is failing and not just corrupted, you may lose that data on the drive when attempting additional repairs with DiskWarrior and the like.

C
So I'd need to connect a SSD, install mac os on it and see if I can get my files back with another program?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, connect an external disk, install macOS, startup from that drive, then see if you can access the internal giving you problems. Then you can try some utilities if you cannot see your data on the internal.

C

Ask a Question