Things that annoy you...

Reaction score
Here is another rant! Help-desk people and help-desks in general!! I hope I don't offend anyone here if they work at a help desk. There are some good people who are knowledgeable at help-desks, but there are not many!

For example, a couple of years ago, my school got a AIM virus on the network. It originated from my friend's PC in my dorm building. There was only 1 additional person (another good friend of mine) in my dorm who is knowledgeable with computers as much as I am.

We spent all night, all freaking night!!!!, trying to stop the virus and reformatting people's HDs that were infected because the virus attacked a windows host file. I didn't get any sleep that night and it was a week before finals.

The next day, my friend went down to IT and had a "friendly" chat with the help-desk staff. While trying to save other computers, my friends computer was infected and he was booted off the network. IT was going to make him pay $35 US to remove the virus and reinstate his network connection.

My friend is very knowledgeable and knows how to remove viruses and such. HE HAS HIS SYSCO NETWORKING CERTIFICATIONS FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!! But IT wanted to do it themselves for their own satisfaction.

Finally, after a couple of hours, the head of IT dropped the charge and reinstated his network connection! My friend said to him and I quote "You cannot charge me for this because I am doing your job for you!!" In the process of this argument, my friend made sure IT was aware of the virus. IT said they would take care of it.

The conclusion: 2 weeks later, IT finally sent out an email alerting the college and its students about the virus!! 2 WEEKS!!!!! By then, the virus did its damage!! A lot of computers on campus crashed in those 2 weeks all because help-desk and IT did not take immediate action! Still, to this day, I feel like I continue to do their job!!!

Ok, I am done ranting for now!!! Enjoy the essay!!

Searay

Ric

Reaction score
Feel free to rant, just keep it clean, there are a few younger members that come on here...

That's what this thread is for !

SwampWitch

Reaction score
"Heritage Houses" PAH! Leaky, creaky, moldy, old things that are ALWAYS in need of repair.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

SwampWitch

Reaction score
My husband supervises a woman graduate student who has a crush on him. He is very professional about it, he has no interest in her romantically, in fact, he doesn't really like her very much. He doesn't socialize with her, but he does work with her several days a month, and he's a nice guy and keeps a friendly, but distant, relationship with her.

She put her name on a wait list for an apartment in a complex one block from our house, and moved in about eighteen months ago. She doesn't have a car, so she takes the bus to the University most days, but where my husband works there are no bus routes anywhere near. So, several days a month she gets rides from him and from others who work there. Anyway, tonight was the holiday party at work, and we were going to give her a ride home after the party. After all, she lives so close...

I drove my daughter and I to his work, met him, and went to the party. After the party, as we walked to my car, my husband volunteered, "I'll drive" and this woman turned and said to me, "You can sit in the front seat, if you want."WTF??? In my car?

About a year ago, she invited him to meet her parents one night at a coffee shop down the street. It was a major etiquette blunder to invite your advisor somewhere at night, without inviting his wife also. Again, WTF??? Meeting the parents?

Evidently she is a smart scientist, but we think she's sort of an idiot savant... Anyway, it doesn't bother me too much. My husband and I have been together a long time, love and know each other well, have an amazing partnership, and I know have nothing to worry about.

But, what an annoying woman, circling around...

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
lol ^

Pedestrians who wander aimlessly in the supermarket carpark, seemingly unaware that it is a road they are walking on and not a footpath.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
cars who turn in front of you (usually into a driveway), then slow right down at the entrance of the driveway because they don't want to damage their cars bodykit ....

Ask a Question