Help: Laptop doing random things on its own and trackpad an issue

Reaction score
About a week ago, my laptop starting having a mind of its own. First the trackpad stopped working properly as it wouldn't move across the desktop at random places at times or would be really slow. Then a few days later, I would be typing in pages and all of a sudden iphoto would open or some other random program. At times, the computer will be fine, at other times, it just randomly open and closes different programs, opens the dashboard, or I could be typing and all of a sudden its starts typing at a random place 4 paragpahs previously or it opens up firefox and starts typing there. It is driving me crazy!! I use my laptop for work and planning as I am a teacher but its getting to the point that I do not want to use it all.

It is about 1.5 years old or so.

I have mac os x version 10.7.5
if that helps at all.

I hope someone can help!!!!

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that when I am on the Internet it will find a link somewhere on the page (not where I am searching) and open it up :(

Reaction score
sounds like a hardware fault, take it to an Apple Service Centre near you.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Kaveman, but I live 8 hours from ther nearest help centre so that will not be happening anytime soon :(

Reaction score
You may find there is a "Non Apple" AppleCare Service Centre closer.

Does this only happen when you are typing, or does it happen when your hands are right away from the keyboard?

Reaction score
It usually happens when I am typing or using my trackpad, but then I can remove my fingers from the trackpad and it continues to open things or move around sometimes. As well, if I am on the internet and move over a link, it will open it without me double clicking on it. It is like someone else is controlling my computer. But as I amusing the computer right now it is ok, but I am sure that will change within 5 minutes or so.

I live way up North and probably will not be in a city for a month or so lol

Ask a Question