Help! Water spilled on laptop.. Does Apple re- assess at the lab?

Reaction score
Hello! I was in the bath and when changing some music, spilled a little water on my Macbook Air keyboard. It wouldn't turn back on, and I panicked. When I went to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store in Manhattan, they said there was no water damage and that if I brought it back before I left for break they would submit a request for a logic board replacement, and that all i would have to do is drop it off, everything would be set up for it to be shipped off immediately. When I decided to take it home to my local computer place, they informed me that they found water damage, meaning that the logic board replacement would then cost an outweighed price of the computer itself seeing as Apple Care does not cover accidents.

Do you think the computer is reassessed at the repair labs? I:E does it make sense for me to bring it back to the Apple store, in hopes that whoever receives the repair order when it is shipped will follow through even though they might find water damage the Genius bar guy didn't? Heart breaking... :(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, if you send it in for repair, it will be reassessed. Since some time has passed since the spill, I would bet that there has been some oxidation or corrosion internally where the water contacted the metal.

Since the other computer shop found evidence of the liquid, then I am sure Apple would as well. You could always send it for repair, because you have the right of refusal for the repair if they find anything.

Sorry about your situation and the bad news,

C

Ask a Question