There are no users on this volume to reset the password for.

Reaction score
I need to reset the password on a 2015 Macbook Pro with an SSD drive running Big Sur version 11.4. I’ve tried both accessing the change via Apple ID and via recover mode utilizing the ‘resetpassword’ command in the terminal. But both processes bring me to a screen that reads ‘Select a volume to recover:’ and shows identical icons labeled ’Macintosh HD -Data‘ and one simply labeled ‘Update’. However, regardless of which one I click, the response is:
’There are no users on this volume to reset the password for.’
Though the Macbook has an SSD rather than an actual hard drive, I can’t believe that would be an issue. How can get it to link to the actual system drive in the ‘select volume to recover’ ? Until I can change the password, I can’t access any of my files Is there a workaround?

Reaction score
Are you simply trying to change the password to your user account? If so, assuming that you know the present password, you can change it using System Preferences -> Users & Groups. Select the user/admin account and click on Password. You will then be asked for the present password and then enter and confirm the new one.

If, however, your boot disk is FileVault protected and you have forgotten the password and/or the recovery key, you might have to use your iCloud account to unlock the drive.

Ask a Question