Multiple Users

Reaction score
I did not correctly follow the prompts to migrate using my Time Machine backup when I switched to an SSD and I now have two users on my account. Any idea on how to get rid of the other user name without messing up my current system or am I stuck with it? I can boot to the other user and it opens to a different installed system as well and uses up a lot of my hard drive space.

Additional Info. iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, macOS High Sierra version10.13.6

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

First, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

Multiple Users don't actually login to a different version of OS X/macOS, unless you have your drive partitioned and multiple versions of OS X/macOS installed, they simply have different settings. If you have a backup of your data, and don't want the second user, you can simply delete it from  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups. Just click on the user you want to delete to highlight it, then click the minus button in the lower left. It will prompt you with three options:

Save the home folder in a disk image
Don't change the home folder
Delete the home folder

Choose Delete the home folder, as that will recover the space taken up by that user's files.

Let us know if you have additional questions before proceeding.

C

Reaction score
I'm a little reluctant to try this as the Time machine download was done on the new registered name and I'm using the downloaded name (if that makes any sense) that has all the information on it. The new user name doesn't have my internet addresses or pass words as the time machine version does. Another issue is that I have to log on to the newer registered name to download and install my Big Fish games as the Time Machine version I'm using won't install them. If I delete the newer registered name do you think it will remedy my download issue? Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Understood. It is a tricky situation to assist with via the Internet. I wonder if it may be worth taking a trip to an Apple Store, if there is one near you? They could look at it in person and probably determine the best course of action.

C

Reaction score
Nope! I live on the Big Island of Hawaii. Apple left Hilo long ago, but thanks for the suggestion.

Ask a Question