TextEdit - Annoying - and false - "You don't have permission" message

Reaction score
Starting with an OSX update (to 10.13.6 High Sierra) a few months ago, whenever I modify a previously saved TextEdit file I get a message saying either "You don't have permission to write to the file 'XXX'. Your changes will not be saved until the problem is resolved." or "You don't have permission to write to the folder that the file 'XXX' is in. Your changes will not be saved until the problem is resolved." The only option is to click OK. Then I can write to the file, modify it, save it, all perfectly normally. The error message is incorrect. It's not a big deal, just annoying to have to keep clearing that message.

I've verified that the permissions are correct from the GetInfo box for these files, and their enclosing folders, and my Home folder; repaired permissions, trashed ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TextEdit.plist, run Disk First Aid, Run Disk Warrior, Run TechTool Pro, but the error message appears every time I change a TextEdit file. It doesn't happen with any other application, or even if I open a TextEdit file with a different program.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

grs

Reaction score
I was experiencing the “you don’t have permission” issue with TextEdit.
After trying unsuccessfully to correct the issue with convoluted navigational
efforts to find and delete the plist file, I stumbled across the extremely simple
suggestion in Apple discussions, from Eric Root, to click on the hard drive and Get Info.
Under Sharing & Permissions, I was able to select “Read and Write” for
“System” (there are two other user designations as well) , and that put an end
to the annoying issue, at least for me! Mac Mini (late 2012) / Sierra 10.12.6

Ask a Question